The most crucial component of our overall look
And the worst one when it comes to packing.
How do you handle them on your fortnight trip? What about week long trips? Any comment about the shortest day trips?
Well? If I have a say, I prefer not to say anything.
Because, seriously, packing these varied items is a tricky affair.
It is trickier than writing a backend program.
Or maybe, it’s difficulty can be compared to that of preparing tax return of a highly diversified international business.
Ah! Men! How easy-going their life is for they do not have to pack different lipstick shades for every other occasion while traveling.
But hey! We also don’t want to share the fun of painting our faces to look a lot fresher than we are feeling at the moment.
So, even if you hate packing your perfect makeup bag with passion, suck up your negative emotions about it and start reading the checklist to get freshest ideas for your next vacations.
- #1 Understand the destination climate. You do not want to carry items that you would not use during travel.
- #2 Get the most suitable toiletry bag. Never compromise on size but tailor your toiletry kit requirements around the size. You may like a hanging cosmetic organizer to get the best makeup experience during your trip. Another well-desired quality of a perfect makeup bag is its ability to fold. If size and organization allow, go for a folding cosmetic travel bag.
- #3 If you are traveling by plane, get a wristlet for packing your on-flight toiletries. Other than a wristlet, you can also opt for a hanging cosmetic travel bag to carry most of your toiletries.
- #4 Experiment with the toiletries before packing them. This tip becomes almost inevitable when you have planned to use new toiletries on the trip.
- #5 Think about the event. Would you really wear that shimmer powder for your get to gather?
- #6 Think about the circumstances. Think about the weather and climate when deciding about makeup essentials and their quantities.
- #7 Do a quick search. You want to be prepared about the weather of your destination which can be similar or totally different from your area.
- #8 Take recommendations. Once you have consulted the lifestyle guru, Google, about the most common lifestyle choices and weather changes at your destination, you would like to consult those people among your close social circle who have visited the destination and know ins and outs of it.
- #9 Gather all your luggage requirements. You know your travel requirements and the duration you have to put in. Now is the time to find the best luggage cases or get one from the stores. Don’t forget to invest in the perfect makeup bag.
- #10 Gather all your supplies. Either you have your makeup supplies and other toiletries in your home or you need to get them from the right stores.
- #11 Get the organization item. Unless you have the perfect cosmetic travel organizer bag, you need extra layers of plastic bags and or rubber bands to hold your necessities in the right places.
- #12 Don’t forget mini-sized makeup bottles. Well, forgetting travel-sized makeup bottles is a big no-no when packing your Dopp kit. So go out and shop for the tiny, spill-proof bottle to store lotions and shampoos.
- #13 Get reusable makeup pallet and packaging. You don’t want to take the whole bunch of makeup pallets included in your makeup kit? Re-packaging pallets are your best bet. Find the size which best suits you. These packages will not only redefine the size of makeup for you they will also protect them for breakage.
- #14 Prepare an all-time-ready toiletry kit of all types of trips. This kit should include all the basic hygiene items that are usable in all weather types. This kit is a must-have for all frequent travelers.
- #15 Understand every travel have a unique set of toiletry and makeup requirements. You would not want to take all your mascaras when the duration of your trip is only three days of which you will spend two days exploring new places.
- #16 Make a list. Or better yet, use a default toiletry list and add makeup essentials according to the purpose of travel. Thinking about your plans once you have reached the destination, plan all the makeup products you will need there. A list will ease your packing by eliminating the possibility of forgetting important products.
You can use some basic templates to curate your makeup packing lists. For example, a packing list for day-trip, weekend trip, and fortnight trips are below:
Everywhere is nowhere. When a person spends all his time in foreign travel, he ends by having many acquaintances, but no friends. Lucius Annaeus Seneca
My Default Day Trip Packing list
I wouldn’t pack much in a day-trip toiletry bag except:
- Face wash (read face wipes)
- Multipurpose foundation and moisturizer.
Weekend Tour Packing List
Again, nothing fancy should be included unless an event requires excessive glamour and style. But remember to include all the products which are in your daily use. A few items will include:
- Mouthwash and floss
- Hairbrush or comb (keep a travel-sized alternative of your usual comb)
- Body wash
- Face wash
- Multipurpose skin moisturizer, foundation, concealer,
- Night cream and skin serum,
- Oil (if you use and whatever you use)
- Makeup wipes
- Face powder
- Feminine hygiene items
- Prescription glasses or contact lenses with contact solution (I keep a separate pair in my makeup kit always ready for traveling)
- Mini mirror (who knows you may find yourself in a mirror-less bathroom during traveling)
Fortnight (or Longer) Vacations Packing list
This is the most extensive toiletry packing list. And also the most hectic one. In fact, such long trips are the best events where you might appreciate the value of a checklist. But these longer trips only require better planning on part of makeup products that are relevant to the occasions and plans on the trip. The basic toiletry list would go unchanged as given above. Other than the items listed in the weekend packing list, my toiletries for longer trips include:
- Face powder (again re-package to meet the needs of the trip)
- Tweezers, nail clippers,
- Hair removing kit
- Pain relief medications
Plus, I try to keep my jewelry and other accessories to a minimum when heading for business trips. You may have different preferences and, in turn, may need a different approach to packing accessories.
- #17 Revisit your list. You may remember certain items that were not included in the original list and may want to include them in final packing.
- #18 Edit, and then re-edit your list. Take my words for it, you will do this even if I don’t list this step in my makeup bag packing list.
- #19 Pack. Well, it is not a single step as we all know.
- #20 Package, re-package your toiletries in the tiny packages you have bought beforehand.
- #21 Get all things in the backpack (sorry, your beloved makeup kit) and don’t forget to use all the organizing items, like plastic bags and rubber bands, in organizing your personalized toiletry bag.
- #22 This tip is especially directed towards business trips which require traveling by plane. Pack a wristlet so that you don’t have to rummage within your main luggage every time you want to touch up your skin during transit. Try keeping a makeup carrying case that will support your professional look in and out of the plane.
- #23 Don’t look back. Yes. Just don’t look back or you will find yourself editing all the items in your makeup kit.
- #24 Put your best foot forward. We want you to succeed in whatever business you are attending. Go ahead conquer the world. And come back triumphant.
- #24 Enjoy. Because traveling is all about enjoying new ventures, meetings, and journeys.
I hope I could help you in packing for your best business trips. Packing for traveling is a complex affair whether you are doing it for the business or work purposes or its nature is leisurely. But the joys of both travels are bountiful and call us to explore them.
How are you planning to present your best professional self while maintaining your style and your passion for traveling? Let us know in the comments.